As a caregiver, it’s important that you get the support and assistance you need so you can care for your loved one to the best of your abilities.
Caring for ALS Caregivers
Being the primary caregiver for a loved one with ALS can be stressful — not only are you on call 24/7, but you may have additional outside responsibilities, like working a full- or part-time job. Often, caregivers are so busy supporting their loved ones that their own physical or mental health takes second priority.
But as a caregiver, it’s important that you get the support and assistance you need so you can care for your loved one to the best of your abilities.
That’s why we make it a priority to provide resources, such as education and support groups, for caregivers of ALS patients, and we do our best to alleviate the burden of ALS for patients and their families.
To find out how we can help you, please register with our chapter. Our staff can connect you with government agencies, nonprofits, and other resources that will help you and the patient that you care for.
- Nearly 66 million people in the United States provide care to a chronically ill, disabled, or aging family member or friend during any given year.
- Texas has the second-largest population of caregivers, at 2.1M.
- Caregivers spend an average of 20 hours per week providing care for their loved one.
- 66% of all caregivers in the United States are female.
- The average age of a caregiver is 48.
- 78% of adults who need long-term care depend on family and friends as their only source of help.
- The value of the services family caregivers provide for “free” is estimated to be $375 billion a year. That’s almost twice as much the cost of the combined home care and nursing home services that sits at $158 billion.
All data, unless otherwise cited, is from the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP’s Caregiving in the US survey.
Find Local Services
At ALS Texas, we're here to help you and your family stay one step ahead of the disease through support groups, equipment loans, ALS clinics, and more.